Sunday, May 30, 2010

49th and 50th day - Doors Open Toronto

Hello everybody!

This weekend was 11th Doors Open Toronto. 150 buildings to visit free. Of course I didn’t go everywhere, however I took advantage of the event to visit different places and to learn more about Toronto, Canada and the history.

So, let’s start about my yesterday trip. You can see the pictures in the last post.

City Hall: Since its opening in 1965, Toronto City Hall has been one of Toronto’s most famous landmarks. Facing City Hall, you can see the rounded structure that houses the Council Chamber, with the curved towers rising on each side. The west tower is 20 floors and the east tower is 27 floors. If you were to fly above the city hall you would notice the building looks like an eye between two eyelids.

In my visit to the City Hall I took a picture with the Mayor of Toronto, David Miller. I saw him and said “ Excuse-me, Sir! May I take a picture?” he said “For sure!” and in this moment he took my cam and he took the picture of us. Funny.

Old City Hall: The biggest municipal building in North America. Now it’s a court house. My visit there was good, but I can’t took some pictures there. Old furniture, marble etc.

Canada Life: Assurance Company. So, I discovered what is Canada Life. Do you remember any of my first topic I didn’t know what was Canada Life. So, It is a Assurance Company. Well, my visit was so-so. I just took the elevator to 17th floor, I saw the view, and… Bye!

Osgoode Hall: Is one of the oldest buildings in Toronto, and, also it is a Toronto landmark and the hub of legal life in Ontario for over 175 years. In Osgoode Hall I visit courtrooms, library, convocation hall…

Ontario’s Legislative Building: My visit here was nice. Italian marble, huge structure, and I visit the Legislative Chamber and the Speaker’s rooms.

University of Toronto: My visit here was so-so. The campus is huge. A lot of old, however beautiful buildings. But, it was just it.

To finished my yesterday day, I ate chicken soup (Canja!). Is Canja for sick people? Yes, I was sick. I’m better today.

Now, my day today:

Fella, today I was not with the same power, the same strength, to visit a lot of places, however, I went! I’m brazilian I never give up. ( Ok, ok, bad joke!)

So, today I went to:

Fort York: About what is the Fort York you can read in the pictures below. My ride there was good, but I hoped to see more. Well, there I could learn more about the Toronto history, and I could see a English Country Dance demonstration.

The Cathedral Church of St. James: Anglican Church. Toronto’s first church. It is a beautiful and historical place. I liked to go there. It is a gothic style building.
In my visit in the Church I met a funny old woman. I don’t remember her name, maybe Sara. She is from Jamaica, but she’s lived in Toronto for 30 years. I talked with her and she said my English is good. Ok, she was nice.

Toronto’s First Post Office: My friends, a lot of Toronto’s Guides say: “ Visit Toronto’s First Office, it is nice!”. Don’t believe! It’s bullshit! The First Post Office is a tiny room with few stuffs. I was generous about “few stuffs“, because in this Museum you can see nothing!

St. Lawrence Market: It isn’t in the list of Doors Open Toronto, but I went there. It is a big market and very funny. People sell everything in this place, old books, old pictures, dishes, garbage, old stuffs, garbage, garbage, garbage. If you want to sell your old shoes, go there! If you want to sell your dog, go there! If you want to sell your family pictures, go there! Or, if you want to buy something or just laugh, also, go there!

Restaurant The Corner Place Lounge: Well, end of the day, I needed to ate something. I found this place and I decided to try. I ate Baked Portuguese Chicken and I drank a lot of coke.


So my friends! This was my weekend with Open Door Toronto.

So, see you later!

Enjoy your monday!

Hugs for all!


My lunch


Restaurant

Market

Toronto's First Post Office


My Jamaican Friend


Anglican Church


Anglican Church



Cards in Fort York

Fort York

Country Dance





Streetcar

Street Car

3 comments:

  1. uauuuu!! como seu inglês está bom!!

    que orgulho!!! Continue aproveitando! Ótimas fotos!!

    Bjos amor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. olha eu fiz o mesmo comentario da maju! =) mas por msn!
    adorei a igreja!! deve ser linda mesmo!! e o onibus eh sujinho ne? xD beijosss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mazáaa q final de semana intenso!!! Tô adorando teus posts, já quero ir pro canadá tb!!
    Beijoo

    ReplyDelete